Saturday, October 20, 2012

One Month Out...

We got these girls on September 20th. Our lives were forever altered.

I've been pondering this mystery of adoption.

I have a dear friend who has a slew of biological children and her youngest child is adopted as it were from Ethiopia. She has told me stories of people saying to her how much she and her Ethiopian daughter look alike.

Curious.

I've heard stories over the years of adopted children taking on the characteristics and mannerisms of the family in which they became a part.

Curious.

I've met adopted people who were the SPITTING IMAGE of their adopted parents.

Curiouser and curiouser.

So, go with me to the doctor's office (where we've been alot lately) where it is just me and Lil Princess B (LPB). An older woman asks me, "Is that your baby?" My immediate response with so much pride was, "yes!" Then the lady said, "I can tell. She has your eyes." I began a conversation with LPB about how we look alike and what a wonder that is. I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face for the rest of the day thinking that I knew something that lady didn't know, but then I realized, she saw something that I didn't.

I see such a beautiful parallel to the gospel here. Do you see it? Before we were adopted, we were separate, made in the image of God, but hopelessly different. After He chooses us and we are grafted into His family, we spend time with Him. The more time spent with Him, the more we begin to look like Him, the less like our old self...the one a part from him. We begin to stand out as His, bearing His image more fully.

As I think of the lady's observations, I am thankful that she said we have the same eyes. She could have said nose or lips. Eyes are a good place to start. As I try to see though my Father's eyes, she'll be(they'll be) learning from me. So that she may see through His eyes as well. So much more reason to stay close to Him.

No comments: