Sunday, February 12, 2012

About that date thing...

I adore my husband. If you have followed my blog for long you know it. He's a treasure. We have been married 20+ years and still like each other...even more than when we began this journey. Anyway. He is intentional about dating me. I love that. He puts me on his sometimes amazingly busy schedule. When you look at his schedule you see I'm a priority. Not every wife can say that...and truthfully it isn't that way 100% of the time. But he strives for it and I love him for it. Anyway we recently had to make a trip for our last big adoption paperwork and it was an over-night-er. We shipped the Princess off (she was so sad to go...she went early! HA.) and enjoyed each other's company.
 We laugh together. We have tons of inside jokes that show our own immaturity, but we would NEVER brag about that. :) Anyway. While we were together, after successfully completing the paperwork (PTL!) we walked hand in hand past this sign. The subtitle says, "Childrens' Paradise." I can't explain it now. Maybe because I felt carefree, with no children, no curfew, no job to get up to go to, but it hit me funny. I can't think that Americans would call POPARK a Children's Paradise. But I digress.
 We have Starbucks in our city, but we keep our visits there to a minimum. So, we treated ourselves on our date. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I love just sitting there. Being so immersed in this Asian culture is not a bad thing, but sometimes I miss the simple things...or what I thought was simple. Sitting at Starbucks with someone special to me (friend or family) and leisurely discussing things in an environment that feels normal to me. Granted, my normal is seriously skewed after living 3 1/2 years in a foreign context, but it was nice.
My husband doesn't usually question why I'm taking pictures of things. He's used to my idiosyncrasies uniqueness by now, but he wondered about this choice of picture. Just look at those delectable things...what you don't know is half of them are NOT delectable. You think you see chocolate chip...but it's red bean, etc. Ug. Who would eat red bean when you can have chocolate? Anyway...if felt normal at the time to be looking at the goodies and enjoying uninterrupted time with my husband in Starbucks. I almost felt like I was back in the states. But the truth of the matter is, I don't care (too much-just keepin' it real) where I am...as long as I'm with him.

 Just sharin'.

No comments: