Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Sharing from literature...

"Mark Twain said,

'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.' International exposure also teaches us about the needs and opportunities awaiting us around the world."

All of the above is a quote from a book I'm reading, which I can't title here, but will be glad to in an email if you're interested.

I'm not trying to shame you into traveling, I'm just trying to share something that spoke to me. I've mentioned before that I consider myself a "small town" girl and how I would have been completely happy to stay in my comfort zone all, or at least most, of my life. I was never too ambitious. I wanted to marry and raise a family and work at a job I enjoyed and do the work that the Lord had for me in my small town (hopefully).

God had other plans for me. And truthfully, he might have them for you. NOT THAT he might want you to become a "foreign exchange student"...I have no idea...but he might want to broaden your horizons...and really, why would you not want them broadened? That's the real way to get a glimpse of what he sees...the big picture.

When I read the above quote, I was immediately thankful that the Lord wasn't content to let me be content in my comfort zone peering through my porthole at the world. He moved me to a balcony! and WHAT A VIEW!

I challenge you to let him broaden your horizons. His ways are higher than ours and although there is sometimes pain in the journey (growing pains)...it is completely worth it. Completely.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

All I could think about while reading this post was Eph. 3:20. He certainly blew your plans out of the water, didn't He?!?! ;)